Immediate Action Work Group
The Immediate Action Work Group (IAWG) deals with the early assessment and development of an action plan addressing climate change impacts on coastal and other vulnerable communities in Alaska.
- United States Army Corps of Engineers - Patricia Opheen, Co-Chair
- Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development - Vacant
- Department of Natural Resources, Division of Forestry - Chris Maisch
- Department of Transportation and Public Facilities - Michael Coffey
- Denali Commission - Joel Neimeyer
- Alaska Municipal League - Luke Hopkins
- Alaska State Legislative Budget & Audit Committee - Bob Pawlowski
- Alaska Division of Homeland Security / Emergency Management - John Madden
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Amy Holman
- Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium - Steve Weaver
- Environmental Protection Agency – Jackie Kramer
- US Economic Development Administration - Department of Commerce; AK Office – Shirley Kelly
Upcoming Events: no additional meetings are planned at this time.
IAWG Reports and Related Publications:
- Imperiled Community Water Resources Analysis, prepared for IAWG by Tetra Tech, 30JUN10 (8.48 MB)
- IAWG 2009 Final Recommendations Report, 12MAR09 (2.21 MB)
- IAWG 2008 Final Recommendations Report, 17APR08 (1.04 MB)
- Decision Making for at-risk Communities in a Changing Climate, prepared by the Alaska Center for Climate Assessment & Policy
- Baseline Erosion Assessment by the US Army Corps of Engineers (2.24 MB)
- Alaska Native Villages: Limited Progress Has Been Made on Relocating Villages Threatened by Flooding and Erosion, GAO Report, 3JUN09
- Senate Committee Hearing depositions:
- Alaska Native Village Erosion, U.S. Senate, Special Committee on Appropriations, 29JUN09 (1.95 MB)
- The State and Federal Response to Storm Damage and Erosion in Alaska's Coastal Villages, U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs, 11OCT07
Communities Impacted by Climate Change
The six Communities listed below were determined by the Immediate Action Work Group to be the most seriously affected by climate change. A future webpage will provide details about each community; for now, the community name is linked to their relocation website, if one is available, or to photos (Unalakleet).
Immediate Action Work Group Meetings
Click to go to the Immediate Action Work Group's meetings page. All meeting years and dates are listed.